I would like everyone to understand how important the month of April is, due to the fact that it is National Grilled Cheese month.
I, personally, am an avid lover of the sandwich. I would like to thank my mom for introducing such a staple into my diet from such a young age.
In celebration of this yummy meal for the month, here are some quick facts about grilled cheese which you might find quite interesting:
- April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, which is a day I have just stared in my calendar.
- While pairing cheese and bread has been around for centuries, scholars speculate that it was in the 1920’s that someone came up with the idea to grilled a bread and cheese sandwich.
- The actual term “grilled cheese” wasn't in print until around the 1960s. Before that, it was simply called "melted cheese" or "toasted cheese". I can say I have never called this delicious sandwich "melted cheese" but have used the term "toasted cheese".
- The most popular additions to a grilled cheese sandwich are bacon, ham and tomato, which are all things I personally enjoy adding in, whether all together or individually.
- There was once a Grilled Cheese Invitational in Los Angeles. From 2003 to 2014, self-proclaimed experts gathered to compete to see who could make the best grilled cheese sandwich! Sadly, the event no longer goes on, which disappoints me because I totally would've loved to attend!
- A grilled cheese once sold for $28,000. Diana Duyser, a work-from-home jewelry designer said her 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich bore the image of the Virgin Mary, so she put it on eBay and it sold to GoldenPalace.com, an online casino. That's crazy!!
- The most “grilled cheese loving” cities are Baltimore, San Diego and Cincinnati, according to UberEATS. My competitive gene is coming in to play and Colorado Springs needs to step it up!
- According to Food & Wine, one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches in the United States is from The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen in San Francisco, made by Heidi Gibson. Would it be frowned upon to travel to San Fran just to try a sandwich?
I hope you enjoyed these facts about the delicacy known as grilled cheese and be sure to treat yourself to this comfort-food dish at least once this month, and especially on April 12! Happy eating!