We're ONE week out from my favorite day of the year and I'm going to share with you my favorite songs, foods and traditions up until then in a Merry Litmas celebration! We're kicking this off with a classic that just hit #1 for the first time on Billboard's HOT 100, making it Mariah Carey's 19th #1 single!
As you're listening along, and trying to hit those high notes like I always do, write down this recipe and give it a shot!
A tradition I love doing is baking with my family. Peppermint is a staple for me and if I could eat it all year round, trust me, I WOULD! Give this treat a shot for your upcoming holiday parties this weekend.
Peppermint Bar Brownies:
- One Package (family-size) fudge brownie mix
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 14 tablespoons butter, melted - yes, we don't count calories during this season
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Berry color from McCormick Nature's Inspiration Food Colors
- 12 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- Crushed peppermint candles, (optional)
For the brownie, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare brownie mix as directed on package. Spread in greased foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Meanwhile, for the filling, beat confectioners' sugar, melted butter, cream, peppermint extract and very color in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended and smooth. Spread evenly over cooled brownie. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
For the glaze, microwave chocolate and remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter in large microwavable bowl on HIGH, 2-minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread over top of chilled brownie. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candles, if desire... You'd be crazy if you don't ;)
Cut into bars and ENJOY!